SACOG and CSU Fresno Receive $5.5 million from HUD Sustainable Regional Planning Grant Funding
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has selected the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) as a recipient of a $1.5 million Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant. Only about 1 in 5 applicants received an award.
Background on the grant:
The HUD funds will help the Sacramento region plan for the construction of housing and employment centers in high-frequency transit areas, including using CEQA streamlining under SB 375. The funds will also be used to integrate natural resources planning with other local and regional planning, and a study of how to better integrate federal, state, regional and local plans, policies and programs.
This funding, from the Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant program, is part of a new federal Interagency Partnership for Sustainable Communities, led by HUD, the Department of Transportation, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
What the grant funds:
- Increase the construction of housing and employment centers in high-frequency transit areas that promote social equity, inclusion, access to opportunity, public health, and neighborhood revitalization and reduces environmental impacts.
- Integrate housing, land use and transportation planning and programs.
- Integrate natural resources planning to protect valuable environmental assets and increase housing opportunities near employment centers.
- Use the Sacramento region as a pilot test to develop comprehensive recommendations and a handbook to improve the integration of federal, state, regional and local plans, policies and programs for the purpose of effectively implementing place-based planning.
Who will be involved in implementing the grant:
- Valley Vision
- Cities & counties across the Sacramento region
- Sacramento Housing & Redevelopment Agency (SHRA)
- UC Davis Center for Regional Change
- UC Davis Urban Land Use and Transportation Center
- Urban Land Institute, Sacramento Chapter
- Regional Water Authority (RWA)
The only other California grant recipient was for California State University, Fresno Foundation in the amount of $4 million. Click HUD Grant Finalists for a list of all award recipients across the country.